My mom was in town for a short (Thursday – Saturday) visit last week, and since we didn’t have much time with her, we made the time that we did have with her really count. Here’s a list of everything that we did in the 48+ hours that she was here:
- Drank coffee and ate scones at Starbucks
- Rode in the Great Park Balloon (more on this below)
- Toured the Palm Court Art Complex at the Great Park
- Checked out the Farm + Food Lab at the Great Park (ah…I miss gardening!)
- Baked banana bread, focaccia, and a chimichurri steak salad
- Hiked 3+ miles (I’m guessing) at the James Dilley Preserve
- Ran 3 miles in Aliso & Wood Canyons Park (I think it’s so cool that I can go running with my mom!)
- Drank mojitos overlooking the ocean during happy hour at Rooftop Bar in Laguna Beach
- Went on a few rides and watched World of Color at California Adventure
- Brunched at Splashes overlooking the ocean in Laguna Beach
My mom also took a 4-hour photography class as part of a gift that we gave to her last year. Unfortunately, my husband could only participate in the final brunch in Laguna Beach before we took my mom to the airport so that she could fly to Colorado to spend some time with my little sister. Luckily, my mom is as energetic as I am and so we were easily able to fill our time with fun things in Orange County.
When my mom was visiting 1 1/2 years ago with my sister, we tried (twice!) to ride the Great Park Balloon. Both times, we waited for what seemed like forever to get on the balloon, only to be told that we couldn’t go on it due to high winds. Then, recently, my husband and I tried to go on it, but, again, it was too windy. Finally, the winds were in our favor and my mom and I, after waiting 35+ minutes, were able to go up in it (we were on the last ride before they shut it down for awhile due to high winds again). I have to admit that I was more unnerved on the balloon than I thought I would be, but it was still a fun activity and the views were great.